Google Chrome, a web browser built for speed, simplicity, and security which is also one of the most widely used browsers amongst us. Although Google Chrome is a fast, easy to use and secure web browser, one of its major drawbacks is that it consumes more memory compared to other browsers. Exorbitant memory consumption by Google Chrome might also result in slowing down your device. Now, you may wonder why does Google Chrome use so much memory? Is it possible to reduce Google Chrome memory usage?
Don’t worry, you will find the answers to all of your questions here.
- 1 Why Does Google Chrome Use So Much Memory?
- 2 How To Reduce Chrome Memory Usage?
- 3 Alternative Chromium Based Browsers
- 4 Conclusion
Why Does Google Chrome Use So Much Memory?
Below are the reasons why Google Chrome uses so much memory.
- To provide better stability and security, Google Chrome runs each process separately. Google Chrome splits all the elements including tabs and extensions running on the browser into separate processes so that even if one crashes it won’t affect the other or the whole browser. To carry out these separate processes, more memory or RAM will be needed.
- The more tabs you have opened and extensions you have installed, the more memory will be consumed. Certain extensions may also cause exorbitant memory consumption. You may use the task manager which is an in-built feature of Google Chrome to know exactly how much memory is used by a particular tab or extension.
- Chrome prerendering or prefetch feature is also one of the reasons why does Google Chrome use so much memory. Prerendering is a feature where prior to the user’s request, Chrome starts loading a webpage that is likely to be browsed next so that when the user requests to view the particular webpage, it could be loaded faster. As it processes more resources, more memory will be consumed. Even though Google has introduced the prefetch feature, an alternative to prerendering feature to reduce memory usage, it reduces memory usage only up to an extent.
How To Reduce Chrome Memory Usage?
As now you know why does Google Chrome use so much memory, below are the possible and best ways through which one could reduce Google Chrome memory usage.
1. Close Unnecessary Tabs
Closing down all the unnecessary tabs is the first and the most thing one should do to reduce Google Chrome memory usage.
2. Remove Unnecessary Extensions
Removing the unnecessary extensions from Google Chrome will also reduce Google Chrome memory usage. Please follow the below steps to remove any extensions from Google Chrome.
Open Google Chrome and click on the extension icon on the top bar.
Click on Manage extensions amongst the options and you’ll be redirected to a page where you’ll be able to manage all the extensions you have added.
Click on the Remove button of the particular extension you want to remove from the Google Chrome and confirm the submission.
3. End Process
Stopping the process of any particular tab or extension for the time being you are using the browser will reduce the Google Chrome memory usage. If you have stopped the process of any particular tab, it will just crash the particular tab and you could recover it by simply reloading the webpage. Or, if you have stopped the process of a particular extension, it will be crashed and reloaded once you restart Google Chrome. To stop the process of any particular tab or extension, please follow the below steps.
Open the task manager and select the particular tab or extension you want to end.
Click on the End process button and the particular tab or extension will be crashed.
4. Use Memory-Saver Extensions
It is quite possible that sometimes you may have to work with a number of tabs at a time but you haven’t got so much memory to be spared. In that case, you can use a Memory-Saver extension which will save your memory and reduce Google Chrome memory usage. Few Memory-Saver extensions are listed below for your reference.
1. OneTab Extension
This extension allows a user to combine a number of tabs into a single tab by a click. It can be then restored either individually or all at once if you wish to do so. This extension claims to save the memory up to 95%.To add OneTab extension to your Google Chrome please follow the below steps.
- Either click on Download OneTab extension or open Google Chrome web store and search for OneTab.
- You’ll find an Add to Chrome button, click on that and the OneTab extension will be added to your Google Chrome
- Click on the extension icon located on the top bar and you’ll find the OneTab extension. Now you may pin the extension for easy access.
Once you have added OneTab extension to your Google Chrome, follow to below steps to combine all your tabs.
- Click on the OneTab extension icon on the top bar.
- By just a click, all the tabs running on your Google Chrome browser will be combined into one single tab.
- To restore any particular tab, click on the webpage you want to restore.
- Or, click on Restore all to restore all the tabs at once.
This extension allows a user to manage tabs and suspend the idle tabs which can be recovered too with a click. To add TooManyTabs extension to your Google Chrome please follow the below steps.
- Either click on Download TooManyTabs extension or open Google Chrome web store and search for TooManyTabs.
- You’ll find an Add to Chrome button, click on that and the TooManyTabs extension will be added to your Google Chrome
- Click on the extension icon located on the top bar and you’ll find the TooManyTabs extension. Now you may pin the extension for easy access.
Once you have added TooManyTabs extension to your Google Chrom, follow the below steps to suspend the idle tabs.
- Click on the TooManyTabs extension icon located on the top bar.
- You’ll find all the tabs that are running on your Google Chrome browser over there. Click on the arrow icon on the particular tab you want to suspend.
- The particular tab will be popped to the Suspended Tabs column and the particular tab will be suspended in order to save the memory.
- You will find all your suspended tabs on the Suspended Tabs column on the left side. To restore any suspended tab, click on the particular tab your want to restore.
5. Disable Prerendering Or Prefetch Feature
Disabling prerendering or prefetch feature will also reduce Google Chrome memory usage. Follow the below steps to disable the prerendering or prefetch feature of Google Chrome.
1. On Google Chrome App
- Open the Google Chrome App and go to settings.
- Under Advanced, select Privacy.
- Disable the option Preload pages for faster browsing and searching to disable the prerendering or prefetch feature.
2. On Google Chrome Browser (PC)
- Open the Google Chrome browser and go to settings.
- Select Privacy and security and click on Cookies and other site data.
- Scroll down and disable the option Preload pages for faster browsing and searching.
Alternative Chromium Based Browsers
You can use other chromium-based web browsers instead of Google Chrome in order to save the memory or RAM of your device. Few best chromium-based alternative browsers are listed below for your reference.
Vivaldi is a fast, private, and secure web browser developed by Vivaldi Technologies. The Vivaldi web browser can be customized to no end. As it uses less memory compared to Google Chrome, it remains one of the best Chromium-based alternative browsers which use less memory compared to Google Chrome,
Opera is a fast web browser developed by Opera Software. The main edge of the Opera web browser is that it also works well on low-spec or low-end devices too. Opera has also got a built-in VPN that shields the browser and many other built-in features too. Opera web browser is also one of the best Chromium-based alternative browsers which use less memory compared to Google Chrome.
3. Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge is a web browser developed by Microsoft. The new Microsoft Edge has got many built-in features with it which enhances the browsing experience. Microsoft Edge doesn’t use much memory compared to Google Chrome, which makes it an alternative web browser to save the memory.
This is all about why does Google Chrome use so much memory and how to reduce Google Chrome memory usage. Well, one thing to be kept in mind is that you need to worry about Chrome memory usage only when it affects the functioning of the device or ends up slowing your device because there is also absolutely no use of Free RAM.
Google Chrome memory usage will only turn out to be a problem if exorbitant memory consumption leaves only minimum memory available for the functioning of others. Hope you find it useful and please let us know if you have any doubts in the comments section below.