Windows OS has been regarded as the best operating system. Microsoft has put on its best efforts to make Windows 10 to be user-friendly and stable. It offers great features with security to its users. It has many vital features that make the life of a daily user more comforting. But, that being said it lacks a feature that is quite a needy one. Sometimes when users open more than two applications in their Windows 10 OS, it is useful to have a certain window on top of the other.
The ability to lock a window on top of everything. But sadly, this feature is not included. So users can try some third-party apps to bring this feature into existence. In this article, I am going to show you some methods on how to lock a window ‘Always On Top’ in Windows 10.
Why Do You Need This Feature?
Well, sometimes when you are working on something or just watching movies or listening to the audio, you may want to keep a window on top of all the other applications that you are using.
It may be for monitoring the behavior of the application or maybe personal choice. But this feature isn’t included in the OS. So to enable this feature, you will need the help of some third-party tools.
How To Keep A Window Always On Top On Windows 10?
Here, I will be showing you the methods through which you can lock a window on top.
1. Run Script
A keyboard shortcut is an easy way to lock a window of your choice on top of Windows 10. For this, you need to run the Autohotkey script. After you have created the script, you can now access the keyboard shortcut to lock a window on top. To do so, follow the steps
- Download AutoHotKey from the link AutoHotKey and install it.
- After installing, go to your desktop and right-click on an empty area, and click on New.
- Then click on AutoHotKey script.
- Now open the script file using Notepad and copy the following line to the bottom of the file.
^SPACE:: Winset, AlwaysOnTop, A
- Now save the changes and close Notepad.
- Double click on it to run the script file. Also, if you want to always start the AutoHotkey script at the start, simply paste the script file in the %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup address.
- If everything runs ok, there will be a green check at the System tray on the taskbar.
- The script is running in the background so now when you press Ctrl+space you can set any window to always on top of all other windows.
2. Use DeskPins
Now another way to lock a window on top is to use DeskPins. It enables you to easily pin any window on top with just a mouse click.
To use DeskPins, follow the steps given below:-
- Download DeskPins from the given link DeskPins and install it.
- After installing, a Deskpin icon will appear in the system tray.
- Click on it and then click on Enter pin mode.
- Now select the window you want to keep on top.
DeskPins will keep that window on top above all.
3. Using AlwaysOnTop
This is another third-party app that will help you to keep a window on top always. To use, follow the given steps
- Download the AlwaysOnTop from the given link AlwaysOnTop and install it.
- After installing you will see the AlwaysOnTop in the system tray.
- Now open the window you want to pin above all and press Ctrl+Space.
- This will pin the window above all.
4. Using OnTopReplica
Another third party app that helps to keep a certain window on top of all is OnTopReplica. This app does the same as others. This application is based on DWM thumbnails that allow you to open a window over another.
- Create a clone of the window you want to keep on top.
- You can also resize the window if the area is large for accommodating other windows.
The link for the OnTopReplica application is OnTopReplica
5. Using WinLister
This third party app is lightweight and can do the job for you. The WinLister lists all the active windows and lets you pin any of them on top. WinLister is supported by both 32bit and 64bit systems. Download the software from the given link WinLister.
Note- This application runs on the system having windows 98 to up to Windows 8. So, just ignore this if you have Windows 10 Operating System
6. Using TurboTop
This app lets you keep a window on top of everything without any pins or key combinations. It simply shows all the windows that are running and lets you pick which one to keep on top.
After installing this tool, you will see the app icon placed in the notification area of the taskbar. Clicking on the icon will show you a menu displaying all the active windows. In the menu, you can easily check or uncheck any of the windows to be topmost with just a mouse click. It’s as simple as that.
The only downside is that it always works from the icon on the taskbar and you will need to select an item from the list of open windows. It is less intuitive than those tools offering a direct click on an open window to set its on-top behavior.
Download the TurboTop application from the given link TurboTop.
Other useful third party apps
Link – WindowTop
- 4t tray minimizer
Link – Tray Minimiser
These are the top 3rd party apps that will allow you to pin or lock any window on top of the other. I hope you were able to clearly understand and perform the steps to download and use the applications If you are facing difficulty in understanding or performing any of the steps, feel free to comment down below.