Sometimes when you are having a great time with your virtual assistant Alexa and it suddenly it stopped working. With the situation when Alexa not working and you don’t have any idea how to fix these issues. In this article, we will let you know a different way to troubleshoot Alexa when it stops working and how to solve the ‘Alexa Not Working’ issue on your own.
On November 14, 2014, amazon release its first virtual assistant “Amazon Alexa” or we can simply call it “Alexa” along with the Amazon Echo (Amazon echo unit is a device that supported Alexa). This virtual assistant uses machine learning and artificial intelligence to respond to a voice command.
You can perform any task you want like web searching, adding reminders, play music, and many other tasks with just a voice command and the best part is that it designed in a way so that Alexa will be ON and awoken for assisting you. In this article, we will talk about how to fix Alexa when it stops working.
Alexa is an AI-controlled assistant which recognizes your voice with the help of voice recognition and transmits your request to amazon’s server. Alexa offers you countless capabilities and also you can add some additional capabilities by simply installing “Skills”.
It is a third-party application and for better understanding, we call it App. Alexa can control your smart devices and you can even turn it into a Home Automation system. You can activate Alexa also can communicate in different languages. But in Canada, it only available in English and French.
How To Fix Alexa Not Working Issue?
Aside from everything, Alexa is still a tech thing and, naturally, sometimes it stops working due to some technical thing. Here are the details which show how to fix Alexa not working issue:
1. Alexa Not Responding To You
When you are giving a command to Alexa and echo isn’t responding at all, and not waking up on your command then follow these two simple steps to fix this.
- You need to check your echo if it is muted if Alexa isn’t responding to your voice. If the light of your echo is glowing red then it is on mute, press the microphone button to unmute and you will see a blue light on your echo. And now try to give a command to Alexa.
- If Alexa is not on mute then it may be some internet connection error that occurred. You just need to simply take the echo and unplugged it from the base and plugged it in again.
- If these solutions won’t work, you can reset the Alexa-enabled setting to factory default to solve the issue.
2. Accidental Activation
This issue happens when you called something similar to Alexa or you are watching TV where something comes similar to Alexa and Alexa recognizes it as your command. Then there are four methods to solve this issue
- Alexa gives us a feature where we can know why Alexa take this action. We need to just say “Alexa, why did you that?” and then you can fix this issue.
- Make sure your echo will move further from the TV or you can just put your echo on mute while watching the TV.
- You can change the wake-up word from Alexa to anything you want so that it won’t recognize it unnecessarily.
3. Alexa Not Recognizing You
If you are asking to perform a specific task to Alexa and it replying like this “I’m Sorry, I didn’t quite get that” or it not understanding the word you are saying to Alexa. This usually happened when you put your echo in a noisy place or an open space this made your command comprehend.
For this issue Amazon, last year added a feature that helps you to know what exactly Alexa hears. You need to say, “Alexa, tell me what you heard”. And also you can do voice training in the Your Profile setting in the Alexa app where you have to read 25 different phrases so that Alexa will get familiar with your voice command.
4. If Alexa Not Connecting With Wifi
Sometimes echo starts to show orange light, which means your device isn’t connected with wifi or the wifi connection is not working properly. Here is some way to solve the issues with the wifi connection.
- You need to check your internet connection, if your internet connection is down it can’t connect to wifi.
- Put your echo in the range of your wifi, you need to move it closer to the router if the wifi is not connecting.
- Check your wifi password, if you enter the wrong password this would be a problem and it is not connected yet, try to change it and then try to enter the password. If it still doesn’t connect with wifi try to reboot the router.
5. Alexa Not Connecting With Your Device
As we can add home other devices too with Alexa and you are trying to add a new device and Alexa did not connect with it or having some trouble in detecting it, follow these steps.
- The first thing you need to check that your home device is compatible with Alexa or not because Alexa only can detect those devices which are Alexa-enabled.
- If the above thing didn’t work, just go to the Amazon Alexa page and set up the device there, and connect your device and Alexa with the same wifi connection.
These are the steps you can follow whenever Alexa stops working. Sometimes if you can just leave the Alexa for 10 to 15 minutes without getting involved in setting, it starts working again properly. But it’s not a win-win time situation, use these above mentioned to troubleshoot the Alexa. If your Alexa still not working after doing all the steps mentioned above, you need to call or contact the Amazon helpline.
If you have any queries regarding this article let us know in the comment section and also you can share your feedback with us. Follow The Hacker Giraffe for more tech updates.